I made this the first time when I was 11 years old, the recipe referred it as “Othello”. About two weeks ago I saw it on Oprah, turned out the name is Whoopie Pies🙂
It’s chocolate cake sandwich with buttercream and custard filling, coated with melted chocolate. So simple, so tempting. Make it in bite-size to minimize the guilty feeling🙂
(Original recipe by: Epicurious.com, modified by me)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup yoghurt (modified, original recipe: buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
For filling (modified, click here for original recipe)
1 recipe of vla vanilla (custard) — see recipe below
Buttercream Rossy (optional)
300 gr Dark/Milk/White Cooking Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl until combined. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a handheld, then add egg, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and alternately mix in flour mixture and yoghurt in batches, beginning and ending with flour, scraping down side of bowl occasionally, and mixing until smooth.
- Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of batter about 2 inches apart onto 2 buttered large baking sheets. Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until tops are puffed and cakes spring back when touched, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack to cool completely.
Mix well Vanilla Custard with buttercream (1:1 or to your taste).
- Spread a rounded tablespoon filling on flat sides of half of cakes and top with remaining cakes.
- Spoon melted chocolate onto pies. If you make the pies smaller (bite-size), you can dip the pies into the chocolate to minimize uneven coating.
Yields +/- 10 individual desserts.
Vla Vanilla (Vanilla Custard)
(by: Fatmah Bahalwan)
2 btr kuning telur
50 gr tepung Maizena
500 ml susu segar
75 gr gula pasir
1 sdm rhum (optional)
- Cairkan tepung maizena dengan sebagian susu, kocok lepas kuning telur, satukan. Sisihkan
- Didihkan susu dan gula pasir sambil diaduk hingga gula larut. Tuang larutan tepung maizena, aduk cepat dan rata, biarkan mendidih sekali lagi. Angkat. Aduk hingga dingin.
- You can vary the filling to your liking. Custard only, buttercream only, or mix them both to your taste. I prefer mixing 2 parts of custard with 1 part of buttercream.
- The key to delicious filling is the rhum flavor. On the halal side, use a good quality non-alcohol rhum essence. A little essence goes a long the way.
- Buttercream Rossy is a ready-made buttercream sold only in Toko Rossy. It’s the most delicious ready-made buttercream to my preference and knowledge. You can substitute with your own favorite buttercream or just omit it and use only vanilla custard.
- If you made smaller pies (bite-size), you can dip the pies into the chocolate instead of spooning the chocolate onto pies. That way you’ll get even coating and nicer looks.