I bought this book the other day, titled Cake Putih Telur or Egg Whites Cakes by Yeni Ismayani and Cucu Cahyana. Not bad, although it didn’t make me fall in love either. It basically tells you how to turn yourleftover egg whites into delicious cakes.
Almost never had i found a really good egg whites cake. I tried egg whites chocolate cake once or twice before. They’re alright, but I wanted wow, I can’t believe it’s yolk-free. So I think it was that challenge that made me grab this book in the first place. I mean, come on. Egg whites cake sucks🙂 I wanted to see how other people make something out of it and called it delicious.
I have to admit, though. I have only tried one recipe from that book. It was this Blueberry Crumble Cake. Simply because I wanted to use up my Blueberry Paletta, and I love crumbs. Who doesn’t.
Was the cake good? Interesting question.
Because I came up with 2 different answers, after eating it at 3 different times. Isn’t it weird?
First time, I ate a slice right after I baked it. It was warm, buttery, coconutty, smelled oh so blueberry good. Looked pretty, too. It was like half-cake half-cookie kinda thing. The judging: It’s ow so good!
Second time, a few hours later. I felt it was too sweet and rather ‘blah’, if you know what I mean. The judging: Neah. It’s not that good.
Third times, the next day. It was in the afternoon, when I decided to do justice to the poor cake by tasting it for the third times. And it’s back! It was like a good slice of blueberry pie, with lots of butter-coconutty crumbs and light airy blueberry filling. The judging: It’s ow so good again!
Sorry to make you confused, but that’s just how I felt.
Maybe I was full the second time, or just being crazy again. You know, something that I constantly am😀
Or maybe, food is just about mood.
But I know for sure, if you want to serve something different for your afternoon gathering with friends, and use up your left-over egg whites at the same time, go for this blueberry crumble cake once in a while. It’s different, it’s pretty, and it’s blueberry. Nothing goes wrong with blueberry. And you can boast it to your friends that you made it from egg whites, and harvest all the praise of how resourceful you are. Am I pathetic or what🙂
Blueberry Crumble Cake (Click here for English Version)
Originally from the book Cake Putih Telur by Yeni Ismayani and Cucu Cahyana
Modified by Riana
200 gram tepung terigu protein sedang
150 gram mentega
50 gram gula halus (original recipe: 100 gram)
25 gram kelapa parut kering
25 gram susu bubuk
150 gram putih telur
50 s/d 100 gram gula pasir, tergantung selera or manisnya selai (original recipe: 200 gram)
100 gram tepung terigu
50 gram mentega, cairkan
100 gram selai blueberry (I used Blueberry Paletta)
50 ml air
Blueberry Paletta kasar (buahnya masih utuh berbutir-butir)
- Siapkan loyang bulat 18-20 cm. Olesi mentega, alasi kertas, olesi mentega lagi. lebih baik lagi jika memakai loyang bongkar pasang. Tapi loyang biasa juga bisa kok.
- Panaskan oven 180 derajat Celcius.
Campur dan aduk rata semua bahan dengan jari-jari tangan hingga berbutir-butir (rubbing, jangan diremas). Sisihkan.
- Campur selai blueberry dan air, aduk rata. Sisihkan.
- Kocok putih telur hingga berbusa. Masukkan gula pasir sedikit demi sedikit hingga dikocok hingga kaku.
- Ayakkan tepung terigu, aduk rata. Masukkan mentega cair, aduk rata.
- Tambahkan selai blueberry, aduk rata.
- Tuangkan adonan blueberry dan crumble secara berselang-seling ke dalam loyang. Panggang selama kurang lebih 25-35 menit hingga matang. Lakukan tes tusuk. Makin tinggi adonan, makin lama matangnya.
- Keluarkan dari oven, dinginkan di atas rak. Keluarkan dari loyang, potong-potong, garnish dengan Blueberry Paletta yang masih utuh buahnya.
200 gr all pupose flour
150 gr butter
50 gr powdered/confectioner’s sugar (original recipe: 100 gr)
25 gr dry coconut flakes
25 gr powdered milk
150 gr egg whites
50 to 100 gr sugar, depends on the sweetness of the blueberry filling you use (original recipe: 200 gr)
100 gr flour, shifted
50 gr melted butter
100 gr smooth blueberry filling/jam (I used Blueberry Paletta)
50 ml water
- Line and grease 18-20 cm round pan. Spring form pan is better. But you can still use the regular pan.
- Panaskan oven 180 derajat Celcius. Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celcius.
Mix all the ingredients with your fingertips (rubbing, do not knead) until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Mix blueberry filling/jam with water, blend well. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Slowly beat in the sugar, while continue beating until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold in flour, mix well. Fold in melted margarine, mix well.
- Fold in blueberry filling, mix well.
- Pour in the blueberry batter and crumble one layer after another. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Remember, the higher your batter, the longer it takes.
- Take the pan out of the oven, let cool on the rack. Take out the cake, slice it pretty, garnish with fresh blueberry or in my case, blueberry filling.