This is a not so actual event. I made this months ago, never remembered I even took a picture. Since most of my laziness to blog was because I didn’t care enough to take photos of the food I made, I figured out this baby deserves a publication.
Well, if you’re an Indonesian, or at least, a southeast-asian, pretty sure you’re familiar with Indonesian Steamed Cake, a.k.a. Bolu Kukus. It looks somehting like this:
The texture of this cake is soft and cloudy, light and sweet.
And you must also know the distinguished Indonesian cup cake, a.k.a. Kue Mangkok. They look like this. They could vary in color, though. Red, green, not blue.
Unlike its sister, Bolu Kukus, Kue Mangkok is rather chewy, rich and densed. It boasts the distinguished aroma of fermented cassava used in it, giving a hint of sour and sweet that tingles your tastebud craving for more.
One afternoon, they were both merged. Only because I whipped up Bolu Kukus, then decided to use up my homemade yoghurt ’cause it’s getting too sour –time for me to make a brand new batch. The result: texture of Bolu Kukus, taste and aroma of Kue Mangkok.
I guess it took everything good from each kind and combine it in one cup. Although I’m not sure what good the invention was for, except to deceive people who expect Bolu Kukus, but then unavoidably scratch their heads with unavoidable frowns, finding out they didn’t get Bolu Kukus. It’s Kue Mangkok instead, already in their chewing mouth! Gotcha!
Me, I just hate to see my yoghurt gone bad.
Yoghurt Steamed Cup 212
- Bring your steamer to boil.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together:
2 cups sugar
1 tsp emulsifier
2 cups flour
1 cup fresh yoghurt (thick)
- Beat all of them together until the batter becomes pale, thick, and the whisk leaves a vivid trail when stirring through the batter.
- Spare some batter for the chocolate topping (about 3-5 Tbsp), mix it with a little cocoa powder.
- Drop the white batter into Bolu Kukus cups, then drop a teaspoon of chocolate batter on top of every cup. Steam for about 12-15 minutes.
Enjoy the deceiving delight.
Mangkok Kukus 212
- Didihkan air dalam kukusan.
- Masukkan ke dalam mangkuk:
2 cangkir gula pasir
1 sdt emulsifier
2 cangkir terigu
1 cangkir yoghurt (thick)
2 butir telur
- Kocok semuanya dengan mixer sampai pucat (putih), kental sekali, dan berjejak.
- Pisahkan sedikit adonan, campur dengan sedikit coklat bubuk.
- Tuang ke cetakan bolkus, bubuhi adonan coklat, kukus 12 menit.