I bumped into an old photos I took, dated 2 April 2008. It was taken with my old pocket digicam, and I thought it was not that bad that I had to keep it underground, heh? Besides, this chiffony rainbow was so good, keeping the recipe for myself would be such a huge crime to the world.
I was impatient that day, I underbaked it a little bit. It’s still good, although not as firm as if I do the time right. Make sure you follow the time mentioned in the recipe.
Also, I didn’t mix the rainbow batter the way the recipe instructed me to. I simply poured them layer by layer. Don’t ask why. Bonehead was my middle name, every now and then.
The texture was incomparable. So soft, so cloud-like. The fragrance was superb: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, pandan. The pandan made it asian. If you’re not into anything leafy, you can make it a true neapolitano by omitting pandan paste.
So, here is to welcome Ramadhan. I will be tied up doing the photography of the next NCC book during the whole month, I just hope I still have time to post among the helter-skelter. Hopefully sharing the pain of doing step-by-step photos, which is famous as “photographer’s nightmare”.
Please accept my apology for anything I’ve done that might have hurt any soul. The fault is mine and mine alone. Have a blessing Ramadhan. Allah allow us.
Chiffon Rainbow Cake
Source: Natural Cooking Club
50 g caster sugar
20 g powdered milk
20 g corn flour
140 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
100 ml cooking oil
100 ml coconut milk (medium, not too thick)
140 g egg yolks
Egg whites batter:
300 ml egg whites
150 g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pandan paste
1/2 tsp strawberry paste
1/2 tsp chocolate paste
- Preheat the oven at 140 degree Celsius.
- Flour batter: Mix together the dry ingredients: sugar, powdered milk, corn flour, flour and baking powder. Make a well in the middle. Put the eggs in the middle, whisk from the center while pouring the oil and coconut milk, gradually incorporate the flour mixture, until the batter is well blended, smooth with no lumps. Set aside.
- Egg whites batter: Beat the egg whites until frothy, beat in the sugar and salt, continue beating until the batter forms soft peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the flour batter until well blended. Make sure there are no egg white lumps in it, or it will form a hole in the cake.
- Divide the batter into 4 bowls. Mix pandan paste into one bowl, strawberry paste into another bowl, and chocolate paste into yet another bowl. Pour the 4 bowls of batter into one big bowl, but don’t stir.
- Pour the rainbow batter right away into chiffon cake tin (lower diameter 20 cm). Do not grease or line the tin with anything.
- Bake for about 90 minutes until the cake was springy to the touch. If the surface still makes a hole when you touch it with your finger, it is not done yet.
- Take out the cake from the oven and immediately turn the cake upside down. It can sit by its “feet” or you can slot the center part of the tin into a tall bottle. Let it cool in this position.
- Slide a long thin knife along the rim of the cake. Push the bottom of the tin. Turn the cake into a rack, slide the knife to loose the bottom of the tin. The cake will fall onto the rack by itself.
- You can serve it as it is or turn it again onto a serving plate. Slice delicately with a serrated knife.
Bahasa Indonesia Version
Chiffon Rainbow Cake
Source: Natural Cooking Club
50 g Gula pasir
20 g Susu bubuk full cream
20 g Tepung maizena
140 g Tepung terigu
1 sdt baking powder
100 ml minyak sayur
100 ml santan sedang
140 g kuning telur
Adonan Putih Telur:
300 ml Putih telur
150 g Gula pasir
1/2 sdt Garam halus
½ sdt pasta pandan
½ sdt pasta strawberry
½ sdt pasta cokelat
- Panaskan oven 140 derajat Celsius.
- Adonan pasta: Campur gula pasir, susu bubuk, tepung maizena , tepung terigu, dan BPDA. Lubangi tengahnya. Tuang telur di tengah, aduk searah dari arah dalam menggunakan whisk, sambil dituangi minyak sayur dan santan. Aduk hingga menjadi adonan pasta halus.
- Adonan putih telur: Kocok putih telur, gula pasir, garam dan cream of tartar (jika pakai) hingga puncak tumpul (soft peak).
- Campurkan adonan putih telur ke dalam adonan pasta, aduk perlahan dengan whisk hingga rata.
- Bagi adonan menjadi 4 bagian. Campur 1 bagian adonan dengan pasta pandan, 1 bagian lain dengan pasta strawberry, dan 1 bagian lain dengan pasta coklat. Satu bagian lain biarkan putih. Tuang kembali keempat adonan tersebut ke dalam satu mangkuk besar, tapi jangan diaduk.
- Tuang adonan 4 rasa tersebut ke dalam loyang chiffon diameter bawah 20 cm tanpa dioles apa-apa. Panggang kurang lebih 90 menit hingga kue matang dan kokoh (jika ditekan permukaannya kembali membal).
- Keluarkan kue. Panas-panas, balikkan loyang, bisa disangga botol atau disangga kaki-kaki loyang. Biarkan dalam keadaan terbalik hingga dingin.
- Jalankan pisau tipis di sekeliling loyang dengan gerakan lurus. Juga di dasar kue. Lepaskan bagian tengah kue dengan menggunakan tusuk sate. Balik kue ke atas rak kawat atau langsung ke piring saji. Potong-potong menggunakan pisau gergaji.