Posted for NCC Banana Week
I really, really, really, enjoy making breads. It’s fun, it’s therapeutic, it’s satisfying. The simpler the better. This one is a very simple bread modified from very basic bread recipe, the one with only flour, water, yeast, a little sugar and salt. No eggs, no milk, no fat. You know you’re alright without all those.
What I like about this bread is that it is flavored with natural ingredients called the mighty banana and honey. No filling needed, the bananas turned into one whole bread boasting nice aroma and naturally sweet flavor, at the same time it adds moisture in your bread that makes you go mmm..
You can use any bread recipe you like. Matter of fact, I encourage you to use your favorite one instead of my simple version. Just substitute the liquid with banana puree and you’re good to go.
Banana & Honey Bread
Original recipe by Jamie Oliver, modified by Riana
500 gram bread flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 envelope (11 gr) instant yeast
3 large bananas, pureed
4 Tbsp honey
water as needed
1/2 tsp salt
Any nuts available in your cupboard, as for me, it’s almond and black sesame seeds, toasted
A little honey and melted butter for drizzling
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients except salt: bread flour, sugar, instant yeast.
- Stir in banana puree, honey and a little bit of water. Knead. Add water little by little as you go until the dough is soft enough to your touch. Stir in salt, continue kneading until you have a smooth silky elastic dough. Throw in the nuts, knead until incorporated.
- 1st proofing: put the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with clingwrap, let it rise for about 30 minutes.
- 2nd proofing: once the dough has doubled in size, punch it to let out the air, then shape the dough to your fancy. What’s for today? Bun? Roll? Log? Braid? Crocodile? Let it rise in a lightly floured baking tray for about 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat your oven at 190 degree Celsius. Drizzle or brush the dough with honey+butter mix, bake for about 20 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when you tap.